Toulouse Sausage Casserole
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
1 Red Pepper roughly chopped
1 Green Pepper roughly chopped
2 Carrots diced
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
8 – 10 Wild Boar Toulouse sausages
400g whole piece of smoked bacon lardons
2 generous glasses of red wine
600g good quality chopped canned Italian tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 thyme sprigs
2 x 400g cans white borlotti beans rinsed and drained
Salt and Pepper.
Method – Wild Boar Toulouse Sausage Casserole
Pre heat oven to 160c
- In a heavy oven proof casserole dish, heat the onion and garlic till soft but not coloured over a medium heat.
- Add the sausages and brown all over.
- Add the peppers, carrots, celery and smoked lardons. Cook for a further 4- 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, chopped tomatoes borlotti beans and add the bay leaf and thyme. Stir over the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the dish and place in the centre of the oven for 1 – 1 ½ hours until the liquid has reduced and the sauce thickened.
- Serve with crusty bread or mashed potato.