Pheasant and Wild Mushroom Risotto with Asparagus
4 pheasant breast fillets
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1litre chicken stock
2 large glasses dry white wine
400g arborio rice
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
150g mushrooms sliced
100g streaky smoked bacon finely chopped
90g parmesan cheese grated
1 Sprig fresh thyme
1 tablespoon of butter
Black pepper and sea salt
Method – Pheasant and Mushroom Risotto
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft but not coloured.
- Add the bacon and rice stirring regularly. Cook until the rice begins to look translucent.
- Add the wine stirring constantly. Allow the rice to absorb all the wine.
- Ladle some stock over the rice, stir until it has been absorbed. Continue adding a ladle of stock at a time stirring regularly until the rice has cooked and your risotto has a thick creamy consistency (approximately 15 – 20 minutes)
- Heat another frying pan over a medium heat, add butter and fresh thyme.
- Season the pheasant breasts and place in the pan. Fry for approximately 5 minutes either side (until juices run clear).
- Remove pheasant from heat and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- In the pheasant pan add a little extra butter if needed and fry the mushrooms.
- Stir in the mushrooms and the parmesan cheese to the risotto and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Plate up the risotto and place the sliced pheasant breast on the top . Serve with asparagus.