Serves 6 Preparation time 30minutes Cooking time 2hours
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1kg/ 2.2lb diced venison
2 large onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 sticks celery finely chopped
2 carrots diced
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
1 bay leaf
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
450ml red wine
300ml beef or game stock
1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
2 tablespoons of seasoned plain flour
Method – Venison Casserole
- Preheat oven to 160c, 140c fan or gas mark 3
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a high heat.
- Cover the diced venison with the seasoned flour and gently brown in the pan, remove and put to one side.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add celery, carrot and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the browned venison.
- Pour in the red wine and bring to a simmer allowing the alcohol to burn off.
- Add the remaining ingredients, rosemary or thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, stick and redcurrant jelly. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer and leave for 10 minutes.
- Cover the casserole dish and place in the centre of the oven and leave for 1 ½ hours to slow cook.
- Serve your Venison Casserole with baby potatoes and seasonal vegetables.